Enrolment Open Now.
About This Course
This course builds on the important ideas for teaching mathematics introduced in So2a course on Geometric Reasoning by introducing another key domain of proportional reasoning to teachers and highlighting the importance of use of resources and assessment.
Unit 1 in this course aims to develop understanding of key ideas for supporting building of proportional reasoning among students like additive and multiplicative thinking, use of patterns for understanding scaling and understanding situations related to direct and inverse variation by representing them through tables, pictorially and through graphs.
Unit 2 focuses on the types of resources that can be used for teaching of mathematics ranging from the resources like language, people, artifacts and practices from daily life to the technically advanced resources like videos, games, simulations, apps for learning and assessment.
Unit 3 on assessment focuses on the importance of formative assessment and how it can inform subsequent teaching, introducing different forms of assessment including open ended questions and how assessment can be used not only to test leaning but also to promote learning.
At the end of the course learners will be able to
- Articulate and understand the core ideas in teaching proportional reasoning and understand its connection with other key ideas in mathematics
- Understand, list, judiciously select, use and create the resources for the teaching of mathematics
- Understand and explain different types of assessment and the role of assessment in informing teaching while deeply engaging with student thinking
- Plan, execute and reflect on ICT based teaching plan and develop a critical understanding of ICT based tools, tips and solutions
- Engage, showcase, learn and contribute to an online Community of Practitioners
- Advance in becoming reflective practitioners
Who can join the course:
- Anyone who is a graduate and is interested in Mathematics Teaching.
- MUST Have access to about 2-5 students (of any age group) to teach.
- Who has paid the fees for the course.